There was no any fire incident inside the Presidential Villa, the Presidency has said on Sunday.
The Presidency was reacting to some reports of a fire incident recorded inside the Aso Rock.
A statement by presidential spokesperson Garba Shehu on Sunday said “people in the country and even abroad have been expressing concerns over reports of a fire incident in Aso Rock Villa, the seat of the Nigerian government”.
“I would like to clarify that there was no fire inside the Presidential Villa,” the presidential spox said.
He, however, explained that “in the evening of Saturday, March 6, a fire broke out burning shrubs between the outer wire fence and walls surrounding the Villa, precisely in the area between the Villa and the Barracks, towards Asokoro.
“The fire, as being speculated, might have started from a passerby dropping a burning cigarette. The Federal Fire Service will ascertain the reason for it when they complete their investigation.
“It suffices to say that this bush fire, which started and ended outside the perimeter walls of the Villa, was seamlessly contained by fire stations of the State House and the one nearby from the Federal Fire Service. No loss of life, no loss whatsoever to building and property was recorded”.