No fewer than six people have died in a fire outbreak that gutted Tipper Garage market in 3rd Avenue, Gwarimpa Housing Estate, Abuja, on Thursday.
Reports say several people sustained injuries in the incident that happened at about 12am on Thursday.
Some residents of the areas said the fire outbreak was caused by an electricity spark from one of the shops in the market.
They said the fire lasted about two hours before firefighters arrived at the scene, by which time many properties had been destroyed by fire.
Some hoodlums used the opportunity to steal goods from other shops in the market while the fire was still flaring.