The cancelation of the U-17 AFCON, scheduled for March 13, will have a drastic effect on Nigerian players, a local coach, Felix Uzoma, has said.
He said this on Tuesday in an exclusive interview with 21st Century Chronicle.
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) had on Monday night announced the cancellation of the Total U-17 Africa Cup of Nations scheduled to be held in Morocco, citing the surge of coronavirus pandemic in the country.
The announcement came after about five teams had already arrived in Rabat, the capital of Morocco, for the tournament. Nigeria’s Golden Eaglets were already in Lagos in preparation for their take off to Morocco on Tuesday.
Uzoma, who coaches SETRACO Football Club Abuja, told 21st Century Chronicle Sports that the cancellation will have an adverse effect on some of the Nigerian players who might have seen the tournament as an opportunity to get better clubs abroad.
“Other players, not so much, also see the tournament as an opportunity to be recognized by the many European clubs that will be attending the tournament,” he said.