Iran’s military says it is resuming its control of the Strait of Hormuz, according to Iranian state media.
The Fars News Agency, which is linked to the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), the Iranian Students News Agency and state broadcaster IRIB cite a statement from the IRGC saying the strait will return “to its previous state”, with armed forces controlling the area.
We previously saw some shipping vessels transiting the waterway – but it’s unclear how much marine traffic has made it through the critical shipping lane.
The IRGC statement accuses the US of “piracy”, saying its “so-called blockade” amounts to maritime robbery.
Iran previously said that it would shut the strait if the US continued its blockade of its ports.
It comes after Iran’s parliament speaker said the crucial waterway will not remain open ” if the US blockade of Iranian ports continues.
Donald Trump said on Friday the blockade would continue until a peace deal is reached , adding the strait is “open and ready for business”.
Trump has also said Iran has “agreed to everything”, including the removal of enriched uranium from the country to the US, but Iran has denied the claim
Also on Friday, Iran’s foreign minister said the Strait of Hormuz would completely open to commercial ships for the remainder of the ceasefire.
Data from tracking site MarineTraffic shows some tankers crossing the waterways on Saturday.
Ships appear to be moving through the Strait of Hormuz, data from tracking site MarineTraffic shows.
Several vessels, which according to the site includes ships designed for carrying oil, liquefied petroleum gas and chemicals, can be seen transiting the key marine corridor.
BBC






