UFC fighter Conor McGregor won’t face charges over a claim of sexual assault at an NBA finals game in Florida in June, prosecutors have told the BBC.
Mr McGregor was accused of “violently” forcing himself on a woman in a VIP bathroom in the Kaseya Center in Miami.
The unnamed accuser also said arena security aided the attack by trapping her in the toilet.
The 35-year-old Irishman denied the allegation and his lawyer said the fighter was “pleased” it was now over.
On Wednesday, a spokesperson for the state attorney’s office confirmed to the BBC that the case had been dropped.
The alleged incident occurred during Game 4 of last year’s NBA finals between Miami Heat and the Denver Nuggets.
In a letter obtained by the BBC last year, a lawyer for the woman alleged she had been forced into a men’s bathroom by security guards from the NBA and Miami Heat, before being sexually assaulted by Mr McGregor.
The letter said the woman was able to free herself from the bathroom, but left behind her purse, which she was said to have retrieved after pleading with security guards.
It also alleged that security for the league, team and arena “aided and abetted” Mr McGregor by forcing her into the bathroom.
Security footage later emerged showing Mr McGregor and his accuser entering the bathroom together.
Barbara Llanes, Mr McGregor’s lawyer, told the BBC that the UFC star and his family were “pleased this is now over”.
“After a thorough investigation, including a review of videos and interviews with eyewitnesses, the authorities have concluded that there is no case to pursue against my client, Conor McGregor,” Ms Llanes said in a statement.
“As anticipated, this decision by the authorities confirms Mr McGregor’s account of the evening,” she added.
The Irishman has not fought in the UFC since he suffered a broken leg while fighting against Dustin Poirier in July 2021.
Last week his bid to return to the sport moved a step closer as he re-entered the United States Anti-Doping Agency’s testing pool.
He was expected to face Michael Chandler this year, but cannot fight until he is back in the testing pool for six months. His return to action is now expected at some point in 2024.