A power surge in the Kabong area of Jos, Plateau State has electrocuted six persons with several residents wounded.
Many shops were reported burnt by fire caused by the surge which was said to have occurred at about 2am on Saturday when people were asleep.
It was learnt that a high tension cable had fallen on another, causing the surge and electric shocks at homes.
The youth leader of the area, Sylvanus Boniface, said those electrocuted, including two siblings, had been deposited at a mortuary, while those wounded were receiving treatment at various hospitals, including Ola Hospital and ECWA Hospital Jankwano.
Boniface said he narrowly survived the electric shock after he woke up to put off his bulb.
“The shops were burnt as a result of those who left their appliances on, particularly drinks sellers who put their drinks in refrigerators and leave it on so that the drinks will remain cold,” he added.
The spokesperson of the state Police Alabo Alfred, described the incident as unfortunate, saying the Commissioner of Police had ordred the DPO of the area to get in touch with the community.
He advised people of the state to always adopt personal safety at all times by putting off their electrical appliances when going to bed or not in use.