Twenty-five of the 65 ambassador-designates appointed by President Bola Tinubu have received agrément from host countries.
This was announced by the spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa, in Abuja on Friday.
In an interview with journalists, Ebienfa noted that Nigeria is set to commence the deployment of ambassadors to foreign missions following the receipt of agrément from more than 25 host countries.
He said significant progress had been made in the accreditation process required before envoys are posted abroad.
He said, “We have received agreements from over 25 countries where ambassador-designates have been sent. We are receiving agreements every day, and before the date of induction, we will receive even more.
“Plans have been concluded for a three-day induction programme from the 27th to the 29th of this month, noting that deployment would begin immediately after the exercise.”
He explained that ambassadors who have secured agrément would proceed to their respective postings after the induction, although some missions may still await final clearances.
Ebienfa explained that the agreements, known as agrément, represent formal consent from receiving countries after due diligence on Nigeria’s nominees.
He added, “Once the agrément is granted, the ministry proceeds with induction, where ambassadors and, where applicable, their spouses are exposed to the principles of diplomacy, conduct in host countries, and the expectations of the President.
“We are going to talk to them about how to conduct themselves, how to host official engagements, how to advertise the country very well, for our own benefits.”
Responding to inquiries on ambassador-designates who may have been rejected by host countries, Ebienfa said no nominee would be left without a posting at the end of the process.






